Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Delayed Cord Clamping

I could write an entire post on Delayed Cord Clamping and what I've learned.  I could describe what I feel are the benefits, many of which are at least peripherally highlighted in my other posts this week about vitamin K, eye ointment, and hep B.  I could site sources about animal birthing patterns, non-western culture, midwifes attending homebirths, etc, etc, etc.  But the truth of the matter is I'd be wasting my time and yours.  Instead, I'm just gonna highly recommend that you watch this video:

Delayed Cord Clamping Grand Rounds

It's a bit long (50 minutes total, I think), but worth every minute if you'd like to hear a real professional talk through the evidence base regarding when to clamp the cord, clinical benefits, and possible theoretical outcomes.  I learned SO MUCH.

If you take the time to watch, I'd love to hear what you think about it!  Also, tell me what your experiences are with cutting the umbilical cord!  Who did it for you?  When did they do it?  Was it something you thought about at all, or was it just 'routine?'

No comments:

Post a Comment