Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Baby Laughs

I know that my 5 day old infant didn't just laugh. I get it that it's not possible... that a) it's months too early (first laugh is usually around 3-4 months) and b) my child is not developed enough to comprehend humor by any means. But I swear that during tonight's middle-of-the-night feed, she laughed. I sat her up to burp her and she had a combination of breathing, vocalizing, and maybe burping that might as well have been a laugh. In fact-- TWO laughs. One facing toward the left and then one facing toward the right. They just fell out of her mouth and tumbled over her shoulders and belly. They were so adorable, I could practically see them! Which then, of course, made me think of Peter Pan:


"You see, Wendy, when the first baby laughed for the very first time, the laugh broke up into a thousand pieces of light, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies. So now every time a new baby is born, its first laugh becomes a fairy." - Peter Pan


I might be a bit obsessed with Peter Pan, for those of you who don't know. Any permutation there of, actually, makes me giddy. Like Finding Neverland with Johnny Depp? Two amazing things in the same place-- Johnny Depp and JM Barrie. Amazing!

1 comment: